Annemiek van Elst is a stage director working across theatre and opera. She lives and works in London, but runs projects across Europe including in her home country The Netherlands.
She studied at the Academy for Theatre, Fontys School of Arts (BA Hons), specialising in directing new writing, modern classics, musical theatre, actor coaching and community projects. In 2012 she won the prize for ‘Best Short Story’ in the writing contest WriteNow!. In the same year she secured scholarships from the Prins Bernard Cultuurfonds and VSB Fonds for her master studies in the United Kingdom.
Annemiek worked as a freelance director, assistant director and writer for several companies including: Het Zuidelijk Toneel, Theater Artemis, Matzer Theater, Drie Ons, Productiehuis Brabant, United-C, L’Avventura Producties and wrote a column for the newspaper Het Brabants Dagblad. She also returned to Fontys Academy for Theatre as a director/lecturer.
In 2013 she moved to London to study MA Advanced Theatre Practice at the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama. She was part of the company The Fhallacies, with whom she created the show We Are Not Michael which transferred to the Zlomvaz Festival Prague. For her final project she started the company And Many Others; together with writer Claudia Marinaro they make theatre that explores the beauty in the malfunctions of our modern society. They have made 3 full-lenght productions including the Arts Council Funded Becoming Mohammed, the touring No Fixed Abode, and are continuing to work on their latest show Polar Bear and Child.
Besides running her own company she continues to work with other theatres and opera houses including:
- As a Director for Gianni Schicchi (St Paul’s Opera), HELENA (Tete-a-Tete Opera Festival) Italian Opera Scenes (Morley Opera London), NewsRevue (Canal Theatre London) Nele Needs A Holiday: The Musical (Richard Jordan Productions/Big in Belgium), The Asthonishing Singing Fish (Flying Dutchman Productions).
- As an Assistant Director for Dutch National Opera (NL), Royal Opera House (UK), Zürich Opernhaus (CH), Lyrique-en-Mer (FR), Teatru Manoel (MLT), Clonter Opera (UK), and English National Opera (UK).
- As a Staff Director for Opera Up Close – Eugene Onegin national tour
- As an Associate Director for Henny Penny – The Opera (Guildhall), Burka’s and Bacon Butties (Park Theatre), Don Quichote (Lyric Hammersmith)
- Coaching actors for Identity School of Acting (IDSA London, Los Angeles, International), FLYING DUTCHMAN THEATRE, Emma Berentsen, and Stolen Cactus,
- Facilitating workshops and performances with target groups for companies including; Cardboard Citizens, Outside Edge Theatre, The Bush, Harts Theatre Company, and Lyric Hammersmith
- Translating various texts and programs for companies including: Netflix, CBS, Royal Court Theatre. More info on tab ‘Translation’
Annemiek is a member of Stage Directors UK, Opera UK and the Young Vic Directors Network.
Languages include Dutch, English and German, French and Italian.
She currently studying Italian Opera through Dartmouth University.
A complete CV can be found on this website.