Annemiek van Elst is a stage director working across opera, theatre and film. She lives in London, but works across the UK, Scotland, Germany, Belgium, France, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Italy and in her home country The Netherlands.
She studied Directing and has a first degree in Teaching Drama from the Academy for Theatre, Fontys School of Arts (BA Hons) and MA Advanced Theatre Practice at the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama.
She founded the company And Many Others; together with writer Claudia Marinaro they’ve made 3 productions including the Arts Council England Funded Becoming Mohammed, No Fixed Abode, and Polar Bear and Child.
Together with composer Yshani Perinpanayagam she is currently supported by the Britten-Pears Foundation to develop their new opera NADIA.
Recent credits include (full CV can be found on this website):
- As a Director on Eternal Road (Opera Zuid), Albert Herring, Gianni Schicchi (St Paul’s Opera), HELENA (Tete-a-Tete Opera Festival), NewsRevue (Canal Theatre London) Nele Needs A Holiday: The Musical (Richard Jordan Productions/Big in Belgium), Polar Bear and Boy (Greenwich Theatre), Becoming Mohammed (Pleasance Theatre), Community (Southwark Theatre), R.A Zimmerman Against the Establishment (Theater de Nwe Vorst).
- As an Associate Director for Eugene Onegin (Opernhaus Magdeburg), Candide (Scottish Opera) Henny Penny – The Opera (Guildhall), Burka’s and Bacon Butties (Park Theatre), Don Quichote (Lyric Hammersmith)
- As an Assistant Director for Dutch National Opera, Royal Opera House, Zürich Opernhaus, Scottish Opera, Lyrique-en-Mer, Teatru Manoel, Lyric Hammersmith, English National Opera.
- As a Staff Director for Romeo et Juliette (Opera Zuid, NL Tour), Eugene Onegin (Opera Up Close, UK tour)
- Coaching actors for Identity School of Acting (IDSA London, Los Angeles, International), Flying Dutchman Theatre, Emma Berentsen, and Stolen Cactus,
- Facilitating workshops and performances with target groups for companies including; Cardboard Citizens, Outside Edge Theatre, and Lyric Hammersmith
- Translating various texts and programs for companies including: Netflix, CBS, Royal Court Theatre. More info on tab ‘Translation’
Annemiek is a founding member of I:OPERA and an active member of Stage Directors UK and the Young Vic Directors Network.
Languages include Dutch, English, German, French and Italian.
Photo: Anna Mathioudaki