From 2008 till 2012 Annemiek studied at the Academy for Theatre, Fontys School of Arts (BA Hons). Besides the tasks set by the course, she ran her own projects and became assistant director at one of the leading Dutch theatre companies Het Zuidelijk Toneel, where she continued to work after her graduation. During this time she also developed her own writing, and in 2012 she won the prize for ‘Best Short Story’ in the writing contest ‘WriteNow!’.
Annemiek worked as a freelance director, assistant Director and writer for several companies including: Het Zuidelijk Toneel, Theater Artemis, Drie Ons, Productiehuis Brabant, United-C, L’Avventura Producties and Het Brabants Dagblad. She was also started working as a freelance Director at her old school Fontys Academy for Theatre.
In 2013 she moved to London to study MA Advanced Theatre Practice at the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama. Here she honed and combined her skills in devising, directing and producing. She was part of the company The Fhallacies, with whom she created the show ‘We Are Not Michael’ which transferred to the Zlomvaz Festival Prague. For her final project she started the company And Many Others. Together with her partner and writer Claudia Marinaro they create contemporary theatre that explore the beauty and malfunctions of our modern society.
Their first show No Fixed Abode, a storytelling performance about homelessness and belonging, had successful runs at Theaterfestival Boulvard, 198 Gallery Brixton, The Unresolved Festival and recently at Camden People Theatre.
And Many Others followed up with Becoming Mohammed, a show inspired by Annemiek’s brother who converted to Islam. A first version was staged at The Space Theatre in June 2015, in collaboration with Lyric Hammersmith. After a development period, a new incarnation of Becoming Mohammed played at The Pleasance Theatre London in May 2017, funded by Arts Council England and Unity Theatre Trust.
Besides making her own work, Annemiek continues her practice as a freelance director and facilitator at several other companies:
- As an associate director at Lyric Hammersmith, where she runs part of the Lyric Young Company and collaborates on several other projects.
- As an assistant director at English National Opera, where she supported director Martin Constantine as an acting coach for the opera singers and the choir.
- Developing solo performances in the Caravan Theatre for MERGE Festival and Robin Linde Productions.
- Working as art director and mentor for projects of Ghetto Film School NYC and LA.
- Coaching solo actors for FLYING DUTCHMAN THEATRE and Stolen Cactus
- Facilitating workshops and performances with target groups for companies including; Cardboard Citizens, Outside Edge Theatre, The Bush, and Harts Theatre Company.
A complete CV can be found on this website.
left: Headshot by Rob ten Broek
right: Graduation Class 2012 by Thomas Boeren
Annemiek got scholarships from VSB Fonds and Prins Bernard Cultuurfonds for her MA in London